Going back.....
Jim had been up all night (mostly, at least) studying for the Captain's test. He was told last August (then it was January 1, then February 1, you get the point) that there was no reason for him to take it again, since he was number one on the current list. Words...as we have learned, can be frivolous.
So here we found ourselves, me on the verge of a mental breakdown with the scary "boob" stuff. Jim on the verge, because every nerve has been spent. With 3 hours of sleep on board he shows up for a test, that he knows he is not prepared to take, but is there anyway.
5 minutes before the test is to start, pencils are in hand.... The chief (sounds so Native American, random...sorry) walks in, stands in front of Jim and says, "Jim you can go home now, you do not need to take this test". Ok......so what does that mean?
Apparently Jim will "make" captain...just not sure on the details at this time.
So on his way home, he calls me (I of course am at work), tells me the details, and he just says "Babe...God is good...I'm going home to sleep".
Jim turns off the ringer on the house phone, turns off the ringer on his cell phone, and is comatose.
Fast forward a couple hours.... I'm on my way home for lunch (did I mention that I work less than 5 minutes from home?). Suddenly I pass Jim going the opposite direction.... Now wait a minute.... He is still sleeping right?
I'm flapping my arms (I can only imagine what the other drivers were thinking, crazy lady up ahead, beware move to the side of the road), so Jim sees me, pulls over and comes running up to my car. As soon as he sees me, he starts crying. He says "Babe, we did it...I just made Captain...I'm on my way to meet the chief".
God is good.






No comments:
Post a Comment